Update 8/17/2026 7:45pm – SUSPECT IN CUSTODY
At 7:32 p.m. today, Muscatine police took 59-year-old Mark Lee Jackson into custody without incident.
Jackson was located at 1116 Oak Street in Muscatine.
A special thanks to the Iowa DCI and ATF for many long hours put into this case.
We appreciate everyone’s support, patience, and cooperation throughout this investigation.
-Original news release from the Muscatine Police Department, 08/17/2026 @ 7:45 p.m.
A 59-year-old man wanted in connection with the shooting of a Muscatine police officer is now in custody. Muscatine police took Mark Lee Jackson into custody without incident at 7:32 p.m. Monday, Aug. 17, after he was located at 1116 Oak Street in Muscatine.
The officer was shot in the elbow during a traffic stop and was released from the hospital. Muscatine Police Chief Anthony Kies said the officer is stable, recovering at home and expected to make a full recovery.
Police previously identified Jackson as the suspect after the shooting near Benham Avenue. Authorities said Jackson fired shots toward an area where bystanders and children were present before fleeing. No children or civilians were injured.
A large-scale search for Jackson involved 16 law enforcement agencies, K-9 teams and drones and accounted for more than 1,000 man-hours. Authorities had been focusing on a 120-acre area where Jackson was last seen.
Jackson has active warrants for parole violation and second-degree theft. He was considered armed and dangerous during the search.
With Jackson now in custody, the search for the suspect has ended.




