Press Release Content Requirements
Press releases must adhere to the following guidelines to be considered for publication on this site, the Voice of Muscatine newspaper or radio stations. Please ensure that your release meets this criteria before submitting.Newsworthiness
- Newsworthiness – All press releases must pertain to a newsworthy event, product, or service. We do not accept releases that are solely for advertising or marketing purposes. The content must offer real value to the reader and be supported by factual information.
- Maintain Objectivity – The press release should be unbiased and objective. Avoid using direct callouts, such as “I” or “you”, which address the reader in a personal manner. In addition, refrain from using exclamation points, exaggerations, or any other “hype” content, as this can detract from the overall credibility of the release.
- Fact-Checked – All press releases submitted to the site must be fact-checked and completely accurate. We do not personally verify the information within the releases. Thus, the content must be free or errors and inaccurate statements before it is submitted to Voice of Muscatine. If you are submitting a release regarding legal or political issues, be sure to include the case number, court name, and supporting documentation with your press release.
- Written Consent and/or Authorization – Some press releases may require written content or authorization from a company or individual. One such example is network marketing content that calls for the organization’s written consent. The use of stock ticker symbols also requires authorization from the company who holds the symbol.
- Contact Information – Include the name of the person or organization who is submitting the press release. Their phone number and/or email address must also be mentioned. Any press releases that do not contain this information will be ineligible for distribution. If possible, include the website and physical address of the company or individual.
- Correct Grammar and Spelling – Carefully examine the press release before submission to ensure that it is free or grammar and spelling errors. Our editorial staff does not proofread and/or make revisions to releases to prepare them for publication. This is the responsibility of the press release provider. Make sure to define any technical or industry-specific jargon used in the release.
- Reliable Source – All content must be supported by factual information that is widely available and/or provided by a reliable source. We require that all news sources be clearly identified at the top of the press release or in the headline. If you are submitting the release at the behest of a third-party, the name of the third-party would typically be the news source.
Voice of Muscatine Does NOT Accept:
- Ads or Spam Content. We do not accept press releases that contain ads or spam content, under any circumstances. This refers to any releases that focus on the sale of a product or service. However, if there is a newsworthy angle associated with a product or service, this may be acceptable. Avoid oversaturating the press release with targeted keywords, especially those that are typically used in ads and spam content. “FREE” and “earn money” are two such examples.
- Opinion Statements. Press releases should be free of personal opinions or exaggerated statements that have no merit. Releases that focus on political opinions, public policy commentary, and other controversial topics may be refused, unless all angles of the topic are explored in an unbiased manner. We do not accept any release that is solely for the purpose of airing grievances or slandering an individual or company’s reputation.
- Explicit Content. Our site does not accept press releases that contain any sexually explicit or mature content. This includes releases that mention sexually explicit products, services, or events. The content should not reference any links or sites that contain explicit material, such as websites that are intended for mature audiences.
- Blog Entries. Blog posts, such as those that contain personal opinion or pertain to general interest topics, do not constitute as a press release. All press releases must have proper attributions and follow the press release formatting guidelines.
- Copyrighted content. All content must be unique and unpublished. Articles from news sites cannot be redistributed through our site. If any copyrighted or templated content is submitted, such as images or text, we will deny the press release. If you are including quotes or facts in your release, all information must be attributed to the source. All direct quotes must be placed within quotation marks.
- Ticker symbols and stock tips. It is acceptable to use ticker symbols, provided that they are authorized by the company who owns the symbol. We do not, however, accept releases that are geared toward stock sales or purchases. Stock tips, advice, newsletters, alerts, and reviews are also prohibited.
- Malicious or threatening content. We DO NOT distribute content that is malicious, threatening, or violent in any form. This includes press releases that promote violence or incite violent acts amongst the readership. All content must be free of bigotry, racism, and hatred. This also pertains to releases that may cause harm to an individual or negatively affect the image of a business entities
- Unethical SEO practices. The purpose of a press release is to inform the public of a notable event, service, or product. As such, any releases that contain unethical SEO practices will be denied. This also pertains to releases that promote Black Hat SEO services, products, or sites. Examples of unethical SEO practices include: keyword over-saturation, link buying, link selling, and paid social networking schemes. If we find that a press release has an unusually high amount of inbound links after publication, we reserve the right to remove the release at any time.
In addition to the aforementioned content, Voice of Muscatine DOES NOT accept press releases regarding the following topics:
- Third party legal content (the release must be from the representing firm)
- Market research reports
- Online gambling sites (including fantasy sports betting sites)
- Streaming video publication sites (unless there is authorization from the creator)
- Payday loan sites
- Pharmaceutical sites (unless it specifically states that a prescription is required)
- Weight loss programs
- Health/sexual enhancement supplements
- Money-making schemes
- Illegal mobile device unlocking services
- Academic writing services (research papers, essays, etc.)
Our staff reviews all of the press releases that are submitted to Voice of Muscatine. Though we do not proofread or revise the content, we do thoroughly examine all aspects of the release to ensure that it meets or guidelines before publication. We reserve the right to refuse press releases that do not meet our standard or violate any of our policies.
The individual or organization who submits the press release to our site is fully responsible for all of the content and its accuracy. If you submit your release to Voice of Muscatine, you are agreeing that all of the information is factually based and is associated with a reliable news source.
If your press release meets all of our criteria, please feel free to submit it to our site for review and distribution. We look forward to reading your submissions!