Muscatine’s FFA chapter had a great trip to Ames for the Iowa State FFA Convention.
On Monday, April 15th, Muscatine FFA members that had qualified through sub-district and district contests competed in the following leadership contests:
- Ag Radio Broadcasting: Reserve State Champion, gold rating- Jocee Boynton
- Individual Ag Sales: Fourth overall, gold rating- Alley Gray
Parliamentary Procedure: Bonze rating- Sophie Crooks, Brooke Horton, Alexis Moeller, Joshua Robinson, Jamie Sprague, and Andrew Van Nice
- McKenna Reiss and Jaide Schmelzer served as delegates in the business session and voted on important issues.
On Tuesday, April 16th, Muscatine FFA had two teams competing in state level skills contests:
- Poultry Judging: State Champions to represent at Nationals in October, gold rating- Lexy Donath, Dailyn Garrett, Hope Reichert, Alli Youngbauer, and Riley Webber
- Team Ag Sales: Third high team, gold rating-Jake Draves, Hunter Meyer, Tyler Moeller, and Nick Petersen, along with their travel squad and practice pushers- Ava Daufeldt, Crew Schliesman, Grant Van Nice, and Grace Williams
- State Degree: Andrew Van Nice
- Mr. Tometich also received recognition on stage as a past State FFA Officer. This year marks an anniversary of the officer team he served.
A lot of Muscatine’s FFA Muskie support team and alumni helped out at the State FFA Convention as teachers, judges, Block ‘n Bridle contest helpers, and as volunteers. Ashley Wiebe, one of Muscatine FFA’s leaders, stated these supporters stood out as, “MVPs all around. This is a huge event that does not run itself and your willingness to give back is appreciated! Thank you to all who helped us prepare, [and] congratulations to the whole Muscatine crew!”