Holiday safety tips for your home
- Always lock doors and windows when leaving your home, even for just a few minutes.
- Use automatic timers for outdoor lighting.
- When away for extended periods, have a family member or trusted neighbor watch your home. Either stop mail and newspaper delivery or have them pick it up for you.
- Large displays of gifts should not be visible from outside your home.
- Be sure Christmas trees are mounted in a sturdy base to keep them from falling or being pulled over.
- Place live Christmas trees in water or wet sand to keep them from drying out.
- Ensure Christmas lights aren’t damaged or frayed to avoid fires.
- Never place gift wrapping or packaging in a fireplace.
- All valuable items such as televisions, stereos and computers should be inscribed with a unique identifying number.
Maintain an up-to-date inventory of all valuable items in your home, including make, model, serial number, and cost, along with photographs.