The annual Field Day of the Muscatine Island Research and Demonstration Farm will be held on Tuesday, August 15, 2017, from 1 to 4 p.m. This farm serves as an ISU Extension and Outreach education center for commercial produce growers and agricultural crops. The field day provides an opportunity for producers and industry professionals to interact with Iowa State crop production specialists and learn from their research projects and demonstrations.
Fruitland is unique due to its coarse, sandy glacial soil, groundwater that is close to the surface, and a warmer, longer growing season than most of the rest of Iowa. A wagon tour of the farm will feature current research in corn, soybeans, and vegetables. Below is the tentative agenda:
- Introductions and brief overview of research trials currently taking place on the farm – Josh Michel and Dominic Snyder
- Biochar potato/sweet corn study – Ajay Nair
- Soybean variety trials/ studies – Kevin Falk
- SCN trials/ studies; resistance to SCN-current status and future prospects – Greg Tylka
- local agronomic issues/ topics – Virgil Schmitt
The Muscatine Island Research and Demonstration Farm is located at 111 North Street in Fruitland, Iowa. From Highway 61, turn east on Fruitland Road, which becomes North Street at the Fruitland city limits. The farm is on the south side of North Street.
For questions or if interested in other demonstration field days, contact your Iowa State University Extension Office. This event is sponsored by ISU Extension and Outreach, Muscatine Island Research Farm Association and the Muscatine Island Truck Growers Association.