Full Service Westside

For many veterans, the only way to provide proof of their service is by carrying a full-sized DD Form 214. This usually is not a practical option, and it can increase the likelihood of identity theft, since most forms include personally identifiable information like birthdates and Social Security numbers.

In January 2013, Iowa DOT implemented a law that placed “veteran” on driver’s licenses or non-operator ID cards. In order to qualify, honorably discharged veterans are required to provide their DD Form 214 to their local driver’s license station or County Veterans Affairs office.

Previously, the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) only provided ID cards to veterans enrolled in the VA healthcare system or who have service-connected disabilities. Many veterans were frustrated by this because retailers did not always accept the driver’s license veteran designation as valid proof of service. Lawmakers recognized the need for proof of service beyond the DD Form 214 and passed the Veterans Identification Card Act of 2015. This act requires VA to provide an ID card to eligible veterans who request a card.

In order to request a VIC, an application must be submitted through Vets.gov. Veterans will need to use their DS logon or sign up for an account to begin. Additionally, veterans need to have a government-issued ID and a recent photo uploaded to their computer. At this time, there is no indication of how long it will take to receive the VIC.

If you have any questions about the application or need assistance, please call Jen at (563) 262-4162.

Full Service Westside