Buffalo Police have identified the man found dead there Wednesday night. He is 22-year-old Christopher Goodrick of Buffalo. An autopsy has been conducted, but the cause of death has not been determined. Police are now awaiting toxicology reports, but say there was no sign of foul play.
It was a Charlotte, Iowa, man who died Wednesday in that go-karting accident at the Wisconsin Dells. He is 46-year-old Wade Wiese. KWQC-TV reports the track where Wiese ran into a post and suffered head injuries had passed an inspection three weeks ago by the Wisconsin Department of Safety.
West Liberty will be hopping this week as the city continues to celebrate its 175th birthday:
– Movies of the 1988 Sesquicentennial Celebration are planned for 7 tonight at the Community Center. It’s free and open to the public.
– An ice cream social and alumni band concert are at 7 Friday night at city hall or, if it rains, the high school auditorium. Bring your lawn chairs! A tractor ride will tour the city at 9:30.
– Then the 16th annual West Liberty youth sports 5K fun run/walk is scheduled for 8 Saturday morning at the Muscatine County Fairgrounds. There are three races: 5K, one mile and 50-yard dash. The entry fee is $18 per person. Contact Nikki or Brad Koenig at (319) 627-7454 for more information.
– At 2 Saturday afternoon, the West Liberty Chamber of Commerce is sponsoring the Muscatine County Fair Parade starting at the fairgrounds and traveling north on Calhoun Street. The parade will feature tractors, vintage cars, fair royalty, music and floats. This year’s theme is “Many Years, Many Memories!” Ken Donnelly will be the Grand Marshal of the 175th celebration and Louis and Sandy Danner will be Grand Marshals of the parade.
– After the parade Saturday, Picnic in the Park begins at Kimberly Park on Park Street near the water tower, with the Eastern Iowa Brass Band and Jerry Kiwala leading a chorus of high school alumni. Various community groups will sell food and drinks, and a co-ed volleyball tournament will take place. There will also be a free swim at the 75-year-old swimming pool. For more information, contact the West Liberty Chamber at (319) 627-4876.
To meet changing workplace environments, the HON Company, part of HNI Corporation, is introducing two new lines of products — the Accelerate workstation and Purpose seating. It’s also expanding another line, Flock Collaborative Solutions. HNI Corporation is the second-largest office furniture manufacturer in the world.
The Alzheimer’s Association is providing free community education for family and professional caregivers fomr 10:30 to 12:30 on Friday at Musser Public Library, 304 Iowa Ave. The first hour, called “Caring for People with Dementia,” is designed to give caregivers of people in any stage of the illness an understanding of the best ways to care for those affected as the disease progresses. The second hour is an open forum question-and-answer session. The program is open to anyone caring for a person with Alzheimer’s or a related disease. Handouts will be provided. Pre-registration is required by Wednesday. Call (800) 272-3900.