History of MCC
By Kennedy Williams
Muscatine Community College has been a part of Muscatine history for over 75 years. What most people do not know is that MCC has its own history as well.
MCC has four historic buildings that are used for general classes as well as other purposes: Strahan Hall, Gaekle Hall, Loper Hall, and Larson Hall.
Each building has its own history of how it came to be.
The first building at MCC, Strahan Hall, was named after Miss Willetta Strahan, a Dean, Registrar, and an English professor. Willetta was very determined and confident in the future of MCC, but the state required that MCC have 50 students enrolled before they could begin classes. Willetta went into the community and met with young adults and their families to convince them to enroll in MCC classes. With the hard work of her and her committee, they rounded up 51 students for the first class at MCC.
The second building to go up at MCC was Gaekle Hall in 1972. Gaekle Hall was named after long-time MCC math teacher Louise Gaekle.
In 1977, Loper Hall was created and named after James F. Loper. Loper Hall contains MCC’s library.
In 1993, Larson Hall was named after Keith Larson. Larson taught English and literature at MCC from 1952 to 1975 and was a graduate of MCC in 1933.
The campus continues to grow and expand. The McAvoy University Center and Jeff Koch Science Wing were opened in 2010 and the Student Services building was completely remodeled in 2011. The campus also includes a greenhouse, the Muscatine Industrial Tech Center, Musser Hall, two residence halls, and Learning Tree Preschool.
For more information on Muscatine Community College history, you can check out MCC’s library and view many books and scrapbooks on the history of MCC.